[cvsnt] installing / connecting to CVSNT via :extssh: protocol

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Sep 16 17:02:05 BST 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:18:02 +0200, <tim at blue-lava.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have installed CVSNT 2.0.9. on a Win2K machine (behind a firewall,
>where port the ssh port is forwarded to the CVSNT server). I am using
>Eclipse 2.1.1 as my cvs client.
>
>Connecting via ':pserver:' works fine (if I open the correct ports on
>the firewall), but using the ':extssh:' (= acces via ssh V1) doesn't
>seem to work (although I remember installing most all possible
>components (i.e., I ticked all checkboxes when installing the
>protocols.)
>
>What am I doing wrong? Is :extssh: supported at all?
>If not via :extssh:, is there another way of externally connecting
>through port 22 to CVSNT (... maybe via ':ext:' and a separate ssh
>server)?

ssh is not a part of cvsnt - it's an extrernal protocol that is common
on Unix but rare on NT.

For best use of cvs/cvsnt you need to forward port 2401 to the server
and use one of the built in protocols
(pserver,sspi,sserver,ntserver,gserver).

Alternatively you can install cygwin SSH which installs a Unix ssh
daemon and use that.  Note however that because of the way the NT
security works all repository access will be done as 'System' if you
go that route.

On another note, use ssh v2 if security is an issue - v1 has a number
of attacks against it and is virtually obsolete now.