[cvsnt] Hardware Specs for CVS Server

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Sep 20 08:00:02 BST 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:45:27 -0700, "Drew F. Sousa"
<DrewS at EDIFECS.COM> wrote:

>What would you guys recommend for the best hardware configuration for a
>CVSNT box?  Our repository is 15 gigs (growing about 5 gigs per year) and we
>have 60 developers and 8 build boxes hitting it.
>
>This will be a dedicated server.  I'm thinking of two arrays: one for the OS
>and temp files and the other for the repository.  Will we notice a big
>performance increase going with 15k drives vs. 10k?
>
>I know there are a lot of variables but if you guys have opinions or it is
>in the Wiki somewhere, I'd appreciate the help.  Like to get this right on
>the 1st attempt!  =)
>
>Drew Sousa

1. As much drive space as you can put there.
2. Use RAID or some other mirroring system
3. Add as much RAM as possible. CVSNT works on the files in memory and
having *LOTS* of RAM saves you from swapping slowdowns. I think it
needs something like twice the size of the largest file you handle for
a single operation. If there are concurrent calls then you benefit
from lots of RAM.
4. Put the repository on a separate logical drive with no shares
defined
5. (Should have been 1...) DON'T install any realtime virus checking
software on this server!!!! Noone will ever be able to install a virus
file on it if you lock it down enaough and so you don't need antivirus
software meddling with CVSNT operations.
6. Lock the server away in a closet and lock the door and put the key
in a safe. Noone shall ever be using its console.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)