[cvsnt] Re: Quicker CVS head revision checkout

Michal Kara lemming at is.cz
Mon Sep 22 07:51:14 BST 2003

>>Has anyone tried do do something with the fact that checkout of head
>>revision of a file in CVS(NT) requires to store the whole file into memory?
>
> Why is this an issue?  Even large files are rarely more than a couple
> of MB and with servers commonly having 2GB or more of memory now (not
> to mention the amount of virtual memory available) it's never a
> problem.

   We do game development and use CVS to distribute data files to ~40
people who do frequent updates. There are several large files (more than
a couple of MB). The server has 512MB RAM and it is easily exhausted.

   Adding more RAM is a possibility, but it is not a fix to the problem
(and I don't even know if it is possible for our server). Adding swap
space is what I have done, but it just prevents running out of memory -
using it slows down CVS much.

						Michal Kara