[cvsnt] Re: Quicker CVS head revision checkout

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Sep 22 09:52:18 BST 2003

Michal Kara wrote:

>    We do game development and use CVS to distribute data files to ~40
> people who do frequent updates. There are several large files (more than
> a couple of MB). The server has 512MB RAM and it is easily exhausted.

Memory is cheap. However 512MB is plenty for most uses.  If you're short of
dimm slots use 1GB sticks.

>    Adding more RAM is a possibility, but it is not a fix to the problem
> (and I don't even know if it is possible for our server). Adding swap
> space is what I have done, but it just prevents running out of memory -
> using it slows down CVS much.

The fact is the file *must* fit into memory because you have to process the
revision deltas.  There is no way around that.  Your hardware needs to be
scaled to match your usage.  If you're using files that can push a 512MB
server into swap (presumably files of hundreds of MB) you're going to have
to scale big to cope with it...  The processing time of files that large
will be significant too - If I was speccing out a box that could handle
stuff like that I'd be looking at a dual processor P4 at least.