[cvsnt] CvsNT "Locking Module" (reserve edit)

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Sep 23 12:52:42 BST 2003

Widmer, Patrik wrote:

> I'm using CVSNT with the :pserver: authentication and it works with
> the exception of the "Locking Module". I'm using the winCVS client
> and I created for each CVS alias user an own windows user account.
> The windows user are in the regular "User" group without special
> permissions.  	I can start the "Locking Service" without an error
> message, but when I use the "Reserved edit" can I open the same file
> with an other user without an error message and the winCVS console
> display me only the normal message:
> 	***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****

I think you are confusing features there.

The Lock service does not have anything to do with reserved edits at
all. Instead, it manages concurrent file access. Without Lockserver CVS
would do this by writing a special temporary lock file into the
currently accessed folder and removing it after command completion. If
another user tries to access anything in that folder before the other
user's command completed he/she will have to wait until the other CVS
process has removed the lock file. In case of a server crash the lock
file is likely to keep hanging around and would have to be removed
manually. With Lockserver that can no longer happen as the lock
references are only kept in memory. Note that to enable Lockserver it
is not sufficient to just start the service - you will also have to add
the following line to your CVSROOT/config file:

LockServer=localhost:2402

Now, Reserved edits will not stop another user from /opening/ a file.
They will only stop him/her from *editing* that file. All of this also
assumes that all concerned users explicitly use edit -c and commit -c.
If someone just uses the normal edit command you're out of luck. This
has been extensively discussed before, even though I don't remember any
real conclusion to that problem...

> 	All other CVS functions are working fine. The CVSNT server is
> running in a Local Area Network without firewall between the server
> and the Client. I use the standard "Lock Server Port" 2402, and 2401
> as "CVS Server Port". I doesn't use a proxy.

Do you have non-Windows clients accessing that server? If not why don't
you use :sspi: instead of pserver? It should be the more natural choice
in a Windows-only network. (doesn't have anything to do with your
question though)

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver