[cvsnt] Changing comments on old revisions

Stasko, Roger Roger.Stasko at LibertyMutual.com
Wed Sep 24 23:36:36 BST 2003

ViewCVS has a very nice diff function (in addition to making it very
easy to browse older versions, track version tags, etc.)  You can also
use it to browse your repository to identify when (and by whom) changes
have been made.  ViewCVS is a must-have tool in our shop.

-----Original Message-----
From: Samuel Neff [mailto:sam at serndesign.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 3:09 PM
To: CVSNT
Subject: [cvsnt] Changing comments on old revisions

We've been using CVS for a few months now in our 3-developer team.
Previously we were not using any form of version control.

Turns out that I'm the only one actually entering comments when
committing changes.  I'll have to fix this through policy for future
commits, but for all previous commits, can someone help identify how we
can fix our repository history?  A few questions come to mind:

1.  How can I find out what lines of code changed for a particular
revision over the previous revision?  The only one I figured out was to
get the previous revision to local and then do a cvs diff on the
revision I'm inspecting.  This is pretty slow though.

2.  How can I update comments for a previous revision?

3.  Is there a way to get a list, by user, of all the revisions to all
the files so our developers can use it as a checklist?

4.  Is there any tool that will help us enter comments for all
uncommented revisions?

We're not doing any tagging or branching or anything fancy like that yet
in case that would affect things.

Thanks,

Sam