[cvsnt] Changing comments on old revisions

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Sep 24 23:13:32 BST 2003

At 01:09 PM 9/24/2003, Samuel Neff wrote:

>We've been using CVS for a few months now in our 3-developer team.
>Previously we were not using any form of version control.
>
>Turns out that I'm the only one actually entering comments when committing
>changes.  I'll have to fix this through policy for future commits, but for
>all previous commits, can someone help identify how we can fix our
>repository history?  A few questions come to mind:

IMHO, I wouldn't go back and do that--it's likely not worth the
effort.  However, there are some ways you can get what you're asking for.

>1.  How can I find out what lines of code changed for a particular revision
>over the previous revision?  The only one I figured out was to get the
>previous revision to local and then do a cvs diff on the revision I'm
>inspecting.  This is pretty slow though.

You can use this to check between 2 specific versions:
cvs diff -r 1.1 -r 1.2 myfile.php

>2.  How can I update comments for a previous revision?

This should work (or something close):
cvs admin -m 1.2:"new message here" myfile.php

>3.  Is there a way to get a list, by user, of all the revisions to all the
>files so our developers can use it as a checklist?

I believe that would be some incantation of the cvs history command, look
there and ask the list again if you can't figure it out (I rarely use cvs
history).

>4.  Is there any tool that will help us enter comments for all uncommented
>revisions?

Not that I'm aware of.

Regards,

Glen Starrett