[cvsnt] failed to create lock directory?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Sep 25 10:15:52 BST 2003

Bilge TUTAK wrote:

> I installed the cvsnt to my local machine.The OS is WinXP Pro. When I am
> trying to commit some files, I get the following error. I can commit some
> files and directories without any problem, but in some directories and
> files I get this error.
> cvs server: failed to create lock directory for
> `I:/cvsrepo/test/english_web/people/assistants'
> (I:/cvsrepo/test/english_web/people/assistants/#cvs.lock): No such file or
> directory

That means either

(a) you're using a network drive and it's gone fubar...  make sure that the
server talks to a local drive.
(b) someone has deleted the assistants directory from the repository after
you checked it out - make sure that nobody ever has direct access to the
repository files.
(or possibly (c) you've enabled AtomicCommits, which is known to sometimes
fail fairly randomly).