[cvsnt] Newbie Questions

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Sep 26 05:09:34 BST 2003

At 04:02 PM 9/25/2003, Dustin Moore wrote:
>  I'm trying to run CVSNT on XP Pro. It's having trouble with the temp
>directory when I try to import. If I do a standard import across sspi
>it fails saying
>cvs [server aborted]: can't create temporary directory
>C:\CVS\temp/cvs-serv272: Permission denied
>
>As far as I know the cvs server process impersonates my user which has
>admin on the server so there should be any permission problems. I think
>the problem is with the backslash going the wrong direction.

Make sure that SYSTEM also has full rights to that directory, since cvsnt
does some small things as that before the impersonation takes effect
(although I didn't think that included anything with the locks??).  If you
need a reference on NTFS permissions to use with cvsnt, I have my setup
documented at http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/SetAcl

>Second question: Is there any way to use sserver in WinCVS? I need secured
>remote access from distant machines over TCP/IP and it sems to me that
>sspi probably has lots of baggage like any good Microsoft Protocol. I'm
>behind a firewall and it would be nice to open just a single port as
>opposed to the whole lanmanager set.

You can use sspi over the single 2401 port, if you have all NT clients than
that is recommended.  sserver or ssh are good too.  Personally I use sspi
for my work server (all within the internal net though) and I have ssh
enabled to Linux at home.

The difference would be encryption over the wire, and if you need none,
authentication, or the entire session encrypted.

>Comment: Congrats on an excellent project. I've looked around for other
>secure SCM systems. I don't have $3000 to drop on user licenses and
>Subversion has far too many dependencies to be usable. CVSNT seems
>perfect.

I'm not sure what you meant about Subversion having too many
dependencies--it seems like it's an interesting up and comer, although
still a long way from prime time (last time I saw it, anyway).