[cvsnt] CVS authentication against a Linux Samba PDC?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Sep 29 20:41:05 BST 2003

At 10:39 AM 9/29/2003, Ori Berger wrote:
>Hello guys.
>
>I have a rather uncommon setup, in which a Linux server uses Samba to act
>as an NT4-style PDC for a domain composed of Win 2K stations. At the
>moment, CVSNT 57g is running on one of the developers' Win 2K station; I
>want to migrate it to the Linux server in order to make management and
>backup easier.
>
>There shouldn't be any problem, except I only how to make the clients
>authenticate through pserver, which would require that the password that
>CVS stores are changed every time the other authentication passwords are
>changed.

I'm using that setup now--although I've never set up a cvs-specific passwd
file, and I'm able to authenticate against my server no problem.  I am,
however, a Linux novice so I don't have any explanation on why it works.  I
believe cvsnt is authenticating against the server normally and only if you
want non-Linux users to authenticate would you need to set up a separate
passwd file.

So my advice would be just try it!  System authentication seems to work on
a Linux server about the same as it does on an NT server, I would imagine
you could disable that behavior with "SystemAuth=No" in the config file.

>Is there a way to use sspi or ntserver against a Samba server? Is there
>any other protocol that would fit the bill?

I've used ssh without any additional setup on client or server--again,
using my normal Linux (and Samba) credentials.  I haven't tried sspi.