[cvsnt] CVS on Separate Server - why?

Williams, Tim WilliamsTim at PRAIntl.com
Mon Sep 29 22:27:42 BST 2003

Hi folks,

  I am trying to convince my IT group to give me a separate server for CVS
instead of installing the service and repositories on a existing server that
runs a busy application.  Everywhere I have read I see the statement that
you should, whenever possible, install on a server dedicated only to CVS.
For example, on www.devguy.com <www.devguy.com>
(http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/cvs_admin_nt.htm
<http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/cvs_admin_nt.htm> ):
"Do not use the CVS server machine for any purpose besides a CVS server."
Can someone give me some strong reasons as to why this is the case?  I
assume restricted access is one key reason.  Our existing server meets that
criteria, but it is often in heavy production use and I don't want to take
it down for reboots as I expand our CVS utilities into such things as
ViewCVS, etc. (nor do I want a webserver running on that server, either).
The server is also a validated system that I don't want to muck around on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Tim

Tim Williams