[cvsnt] Problem with first argument to post-commit, the committed path

Samuel R. Neff srnlists at speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 13 20:09:05 BST 2004

I'm having a new problem with our post-commit script.  Actually, we always
had the problem but never tracked it down until today and it only caused
trouble for us on occasion.

When we run a commit for several files using TortoiseCVS as our client, the
output from Tortoise looks like this:

In C:\CFMX\wwwroot\Inventory2004\Input: cvs -q commit -m "Correctf spelling
of Objective" task_form/dsp_Description.cfm task_form/search/dsp_Results.cfm
CVSROOT=server:nnnnnn:xxxxxxxx at ggggg.gggggg.gggggg.gov:2401:/Inventory2004

Checking in task_form/dsp_Description.cfm;
/Inventory2004/Input/task_form/dsp_Description.cfm,v  <--
dsp_Description.cfm
done
Checking in task_form/search/dsp_Results.cfm;
/Inventory2004/Input/task_form/search/dsp_Results.cfm,v  <--
dsp_Results.cfm
done

Success, CVS operation completed

Notice it checked in two files in the directories:

/Inventory2004/Input/task_form

and

/Inventory2004/Input/task_form/search

However, the logs from my post-commit program show it was called only one
time with argument of

/Inventory2004/Input/task_form/search

So the file in task_form directory doesn't get updated by the post-commit
script.

Can you confirm if this is a bug in CVS and what the correct behavior should
be?

1.  run post-commit one time for each directory being committed
2.  run post-commit one time and pass the lowest common directory (my
preference)

For now, I have our post-commit updating the entire module on every commit.

Thanks,

Sam