[cvsnt] 2.0.38 strangeness

Victor A. Wagner Jr. vawjr at rudbek.com
Sun Apr 18 15:07:21 BST 2004

When I install 2.0.38 on my server system, I can now do  cvs ls on BOTH of
my repositories
(it used to be that I couldn't do it on one of the two).
NOW, however, I get very odd error messages when trying to update boost
from sourceforge, to wit:

C:\Projects\boost>cvs version
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.38 (client/server)
Server: Cannot access /CVSROOT/Boost/CVSROOT
No such file or directory

or if I actually try an update:

C:\Projects\boost>cvs -z9 update -dPA
Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE
Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE
Protocol err
or: 'Directory' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol
error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol
error: 'Directo
ry' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol error:
'Directory' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol error:
'Directory' missingE
  Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE
Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE
Protocol er
ror: 'Directory' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol
error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol
error: 'Direct
ory' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Protocol error:
'Directory' missingE Protocol error: 'Directory' missingE Cannot access
/CVSROOT/Boost/CVSROO
No such file or directory

further follies:
from a directory that uses the 1st repository listed in my "control panel"

C:\Projects\Cheetah>cvs version
Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.38 (client/server)

from a directory that uses then 2nd repository:

C:\Projects\K2\AlmiraStim>cvs version
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.38 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.38 (client/server)

now for the REALLY odd problem
IF I install JUST the client from 2.0.34, all this nonsense goes away, but
I can no longer do
cvs ls
on the 2nd repository in my control panel EITHER from this machine OR the
machine connected through the network.

what the heck does the CLIENT on the server machine have to do with "ls"
working for clients running on other systems.  oh the client on the OTHER
systems is  2.0.11

oh...the client on the other machine can do cvs version for boost on
sourceforge quite nicely..as shown above, I canNOT from the server machine

So it currently appears that I can give up ls on my 2nd repository OR lose
my ability (on the server system) to contact sourceforge and keep getting
updates from there...... I'm _still_ trying to figure out why changing the
client on the server affects getting  "ls" from another system.

I guess I'll have to back out the client, because I _need_ to update from
sourceforge daily.

Victor A. Wagner Jr.      http://rudbek.com
               "There oughta be a law"