[cvsnt] Re: Move HEAD to end of branch

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Apr 19 14:59:58 BST 2004

Ralf Steinhaeusser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible to move the HEAD-Tag (is HEAD a tag?).
>
> What happened: A project evolved, and at a time a branch was created to
> try some new technology. It turned out that this technology serves our
> needs better, so I would like to make this brach the new
> main-development path (-> HEAD) and the old head becomes a "dead end"
> branch.

Something like 'cvs update -j branch -j HEAD' on the entire repository will
work (this makes the HEAD revision equal to the branch revision).

I believe there is a way at the RCS level to actually move HEAD but it's not
recommended as there are a number of assumptions built into the CVS code that
it stays on the trunk... not to mention the performance issue (working on the
trunk is always faster as everything is defined relative to it).