[cvsnt] path concat error prevents eclipse from integrating

Wolfgang Winzer wwinzer at ka-dus.de
Fri Apr 23 15:53:45 BST 2004

Hi everybody!

I tried setting up cvsnt 2.0.38 on a winnt4 sp6 box, but I encounter strange
behaviour concerning paths (with and without prefixing), which prevents
eclipse from accessing the repository correctly.

did everything by the book
I followed all instructions in http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationTips
including those to make cvsnt create a passw file in order to use pserver.
A quick inspection with explorer shows me that the following filestructure:
C:\cvstemp
C:\cvsrepo\test\Cvsroot\Emptydir
with Cvsroot filled with all configfiles of course.

for the tests with eclipse I used prefixing and unix pretender mode

Problem: strange paths
when I enter
# set cvsroot=:pserver:myname at mybox:/test
# cvs ls [-r -R]

I get the following error message:

# cvs server: cannot open directory C:/cvsrepo/test/test: No such file or
directory
# cvs server: skipping directory

obviously, somewhere an extra "/test" got added to the path, rendering it
useless.

without prefixing
-------------------------
I tried setting
# cvsroot=:pserver:myname at mybox:C:\cvsrepo\test
and unchecking the "use prefix" box in the cvsnt config but the result is
still exactly the same.

without pserver
-------------------------
I switched back to sspi but the result was still the same
# cvsroot=:sspi:mybox:C:\cvsrepo\test

rest works fine?
-------------------------
The command "ls" works fine though when explicitly given a module as
parameter, e.g.
# cvs ls cvsroot
Checkout/checkin via commandline seem to work as they should.
I also had trouble adding domain users via passwd -a -D username, (user was
added but login didn't work) but I can't see a connection there.
also, authentication via pserver or sppi both take about 6sec

=> Eclipse useless
---------------------------
I tried Eclipse 2.1.3 and Eclipse 3.0M6, they both can make the connection
but they can't see any modules (head stays empty, void even of cvsroot) in
the repository and they can't share projects (which sums up to an cvs import
I guess). I know there are serious issues with Eclipse hooking up with cvsnt
but judging by this list, a lot of people *do* get it to work. At least they
encounter errors at a much later stage.

Trying to share a project shows exactly the same "extended-path" behaviour
as with the "ls" command: I get a box headed "Problem Occurred", saying
":cvs [server aborted]: Directory /test/test does not exist on the server".
Since this also happens with "ls", I daresay it's not an eclipse specific
bug.

Nobody elses problem???
When I checked this list, I was surprised to find that although there were
lots of issues with eclipse, my problem appears to be unique. Is it?

any suggestions?
thx in advance,

Wolfgang