[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT exclusive or reserved checkouts

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Apr 27 11:09:30 BST 2004

Neumann, Trish wrote:
> During investigation, found some emails from the above and wanted to verify
> if there is in fact a way for reserving certain checkouts.  We tested the
> #cvs.lock, #cvs.wfl/.rfl and commands: admin -1, commit -c and edit -c as
> found in some references.
>
> The -c didn't sound in references like it was a completely reserved checkout
> anyway, since it could be undone from an  unedit -c command.
 > Can you provide
> some information regarding how/if the reserved checkout works for v 2.0.9.?

There is no reserved _Checkout_ at all (unless you use the term
"Checkout" the way it is used in other VCSs, e.g. MS VSS). That has been
deprecated for good. What is there is Reserved _Edit_. The weak spot of
this concept as it is now however is not that it could be undone (what
would you do if you wanted to discard your local changes?) but that to e
effective it either has to be explicitly specified by each *client* or
defined on the server for *all* files (via cvsrc).

A better solution IMO would be if this could either be specified on the
server in a format similar to CVSWRAPPERS or analoguous to the recently
introduced -kL mode, e.g. -kc. In the latter case, one could actually
use CVSWRAPPERS for this nevertheless.

> According to WinCVS.org (noted on site as below), this capability is not
> available,

The "Sorry, not yet" only applies to the FAQ entries themselves, not to
the actual CVS(NT) features. It's merely a placeholder reminding me that
I should write those texts. Unfortunately I do not have any practical
experience with this particular feature myself, so I'd be happy if
someone else would step up to write those.

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:	ogiesen at jabber.org