[cvsnt] Trunk, branches & 'head'

Harrison, Andrew andy.harrison at anite.com
Tue Apr 27 12:51:15 BST 2004

A while ago our project code spilt into two separate development branches.
We always used to use MS VSS, but CVS seemed to be more appropriate for this
parallel development. So, I got all our code out of VSS and created a new
CVS repository. I then created two new branches 'Dev1' and 'Dev2'. So far no
files had been changed, so both branches and the trunk are all the same
revision.

Development then went on separately for the two branches. No commits were
done on the trunk. The time to merge the two developments is now
approaching, and the idea is to merge them both into the trunk and future
development will be done on the trunk. In preparation for this I did a
checkout on the trunk and have found a couple of problems.

1. Some eejit has mistakenly committed changes to the trunk, rather than to
the development branch. Is there an easy way to roll back these changes,
rather than go through each file and delete revision 1.2?

2. When I get the 'HEAD' revision, or do not specify a tag to get (which I
think should do the same thing?) on some files it gets the latest on the
Dev1 branch, rather than getting the latest on the trunk. Looking at the
",v" files on the repository the difference seems to be the following:

Files that get the latest on the trunk start:
head	1.1;
access;
symbols

But files that get the latest on the Dev1 branch start:
head	1.1;
branch	1.1.1;
access;
symbols

Can anyone tell me what the extra branch line means, and how it is likely to
have got there on some files and not on others? Also, what can I do about
this? As an experiment I deleted it from one file and that file now updates
correctly to 1.1, but I don't really want to go through the entire
repository manually deleting lines from files.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks,
Andy

--
Andy Harrison - Platform Software Engineer
Anite Telecoms Ltd. 127 Fleet Road, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 3QN, UK

Please note that my email domain has changed from @anitetelecoms.com to
@anite.com
Registered in England No. 1721900 Registered Office: 353 Buckingham Avenue,
Slough, Berkshire SL1 4PF, United Kingdom

Scanned for viruses by MessageLabs. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed. This email is intended for the named recipient only, and may contain confidential information and proprietary material. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited.