[cvsnt] Question about how CVS works...

Harrison, Andrew andy.harrison at anite.com
Thu Apr 29 11:00:02 BST 2004

Hi,

This might seem a silly question to some, but I just want to get a clearer
understanding of how CVS all hangs together. What I want to know is how much
of the work is done in the CVS server, and how much is done in the CVS
client? I know that the front-ends (eg WinCVS) are little more than a GUI,
but I wasn't sure if the CVS client that they use does any of the work
(merging etc) or if pretty much everything is handled server side. Can
anyone enlighten me please?

If the client does do more than interface with the server, does this mean I
need to upgrade the clients on all the users machines when I upgrade the
server?

Thanks,
Andy

--
Andy Harrison - Platform Software Engineer
Anite Telecoms Ltd. 127 Fleet Road, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 3QN, UK

Please note that my email domain has changed from @anitetelecoms.com to
@anite.com
Registered in England No. 1721900 Registered Office: 353 Buckingham Avenue,
Slough, Berkshire SL1 4PF, United Kingdom

Scanned for viruses by MessageLabs. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed. This email is intended for the named recipient only, and may contain confidential information and proprietary material. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited.