[cvsnt] Re: cvslock.exe at 100% CPU?

kdea at alpine-la.com kdea at alpine-la.com
Fri Apr 30 00:08:33 BST 2004

Hello All,

I've watched the machine more carefully, and I was mistaken, there are not
any multiple instances of cvslock.exe.  Only one.  But when I have
engineers complaining to me about slow transfers, cvslock.exe is running
100% of the CPU.

I have tried reinstalling the Norton Antivirus on the machine.  Later, I
completely removed the AV software.  But I still got complaints about the
slow transfers.

Any other clues at what I can look at?

cvsnt 2.0.38
win2k 2000 professional with service pack 4

--
Kevin Dea
UNIX System Administrator

                      Tony Hoyle
                      <tmh at nodomain.org        To:       cvsnt at cvsnt.org
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [cvsnt] Re: cvslock.exe at 100% CPU?
                      cvsnt-bounces at cvs
                      nt.org

                      04/23/2004 12:46
                      PM

kdea at alpine-la.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have cvsnt 2.0.38 on Win2K server.  The server is a 3.0 GHz P4 with 512
> MB of RAM.  My users, and there aren't many (less than 20 people),
> routinely complain to me that it is slow to update their projects on cvs.
> When I check the machine, I sometimes see several instances of
cvslock.exe
> or one instance using up 100% of the CPU.  I need to shut off the service
> and restart it, to get the box working at a normal clip again.  I admit,
> I'm not too familiar with the practical usage of cvs, I just manage the
> box.  This is also probably not enough information for anyone to know
what
> is going on.  What should I be looking for?  The box does not do anything
> else but be a software repository.

There should only ever be one instance of cvslock.exe, and that's started
by
the OS on boot - find out what's starting multiple ones and you'll probably
be
well on the way to finding the problem I suspect.  As for the CPU usage
I've
never encountered this & suspect AV/Firewall interference somewhere (but
can't
prove it).