[cvsnt] cvs chacl and admin users

John Kinson cvs at yellowradio.com
Wed Aug 4 14:44:44 BST 2004

Would it be possible to change cvsnt to permit any user listed in the
CVSROOT/admin file to run cvs chown and chacl?  Currently, unless the
user has NT local administrator privileges on the server, cvsnt only
permits a directory owner to perform a chacl, while any attempt to give
away or take ownership fails outright with a "User xxx does not exist"
error.  (Testing with cvsnt 2.0.51 on Win2k workstations, users are part
of an Active Directory domain).

My reason for wanting this is to support the following scenario (for a
given module):
- the HEAD mainline is read-only by default
- directories may have different owners depending upon who created them
- all work is done on branches
- when a branch is ready to merge to the trunk, a team leader (as listed
in the admin file) issues a "cvs chacl <user>:rwc" command to allow the
developer <user> to merge their changes (from any number of
subdirectories) to the trunk.

The problem I've encountered is that no single user has the authority to
do this recursively if subdirectories are owned by different team
members.  I could use a postcommit trigger to reset ownership to a
single build-manager account, but I don't actually want to have a single
gatekeeper for the trunk.  Elsewhere in cvs the admin list is normally
used for this purpose, so any reason why it couldn't be used for ACL
command access too?

Cheers

JK
--