[cvsnt] Limiting access to CVSROOT and some CVS commands...

Lehman, Curtis CLehman at carrieraccess.com
Wed Aug 4 17:51:35 BST 2004

I have been reading the news posts and tried following them to setup an
admin file to limit access to CVSROOT. I am using 2.0.51 of CVSNT with the
SSPI protocol for user login. How do I go about limiting access to CVSROOT
and some cvs commands like import and remove?

I want to have a way to create a list of admins who are the only one's who
can configure CVS and run certain commands like import and remove. I tried
adding a new file in CVSROOT called "admin" which contains one users login
on each line. Each user is to be an admin. I then changed the config file
from "#SystemAuth=yes" to "SystemAuth=yes". Users not in the admin file were
able to checkout CVSROOT. I then changed the config line to "SystemAuth=no".
Now no one was able to log in to CVS. They kept getting "cvs [login
aborted]: no such user clehman in CVSROOT/passwd". Contrary to the commit
above the line that states "# Set this to `no' if pserver shouldn't check
system users/passwords" it looks like the system is trying to access passwd
file which doesn't even exists. How can I get what I want done with the
admin file, or the chacl command, or windows group lists? What is the best
way to do this?

Thanks,
Curtis Lehman