[cvsnt] Re: Increasing release with "commit -r" fails

Axel Eckenberger axel at eckenberger.de
Thu Aug 12 12:59:11 BST 2004

Tony,

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:cffch1$dph$1 at paris.nodomain.org...
> -r is IMO counterproductive and I've been tempted to remove it on more
> than on occasion.  It has no real use, but some people seem to like it.

Well as it seem not to work anyway ... :-). One last question on that
subject is the feature not working by design or by error - just out of
interest.

> It might be appealing but it's still falling into the trap of thinking
> revision numbers are something that you should care about.

Maybe starting at 1.1 and the doc (see Assignig Revisions 5. Revisions)
leads a goot path to the trap ... ;-). Could you enlighten me as to what
purpose the first number serves. However, IMHO the ability to set the
_first_ number of the revision is a good idea, but maybe it cannot be
controlled because of the inner workings of cvsnt. In that case the feature
should be removed and it should be made clear that the revisions are not to
be tampered with. (!)

Bye

Axel