FW: [cvsnt] cvs server: Up-to-date check failed for `convex.pl'

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Aug 17 22:48:36 BST 2004

> >>C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin>cvs import -C -n -I
> >>EditCaseWorkShafiSieg.pl -I test_component04.mdb -I
test_component03.mdb -I
> >>test_component02.mdb -I test_component01.mdb -I test_components02.ldb -m
> >>"initial structure" CONVEX/cgi-bin vendor-tag start
>
> That's a strange import.  You've tried to create a module called
> CONVEX/cgi-bin, presumably in a directory that already has CVS control
> files (since you haven't specifed a subdirectory).

Hmm, the only suspicious thing about that commandline that I could see is
that he still gave a vendor branch and release tag even though he also used
the -n option (aka "don't create vendor branch and release tag"). Wouldn't
that just be ignored? Where did you deduce he was issuing this in a
CVS-controlled folder? Anyway I frequently import from existing sandboxes
and there is no problem as "CVS" is already in the built-in ignore list,
thus the control files will simply be ignored and not imported.
And what did you mean by "you haven't specified a subdirectory"?
Importing to a "sub-module" is also no problem. I do it all the time.

>  I'm not even sure
> what is supposed to happen in that case (there are others on the list
> who use some of the more complex forms of import & will know better... I
> tend to just use it once and forget about it).

I still don't see what's so special about the above command (apart from
the -n option plus vendor/release tags)... maybe you have some background
info that goes beyond the above quote which I am not aware of?

> I'm guessing it'll create the module as a pair of subdirectories of the
> existing module, but I'd have to check that.

What's that about the "existing module"? As it is the above command will
import the local folder C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin and
all its subfolders and contained files (except for some .mdb's) into the
repository folder CONVEX/cgi-bin . It will also create the CVS control
folders in the sandbox copy along the way, so one could immediately start
working with the imported files without having to do a prune and checkout.
This latter bit will probably fail however if the imported directory
structure did indeed already contain such control files, even though I seem
to remember that import simply overwrote those regardless of prior
content...

Cheers,

--
Oliver