[cvsnt] Re: Problem with NTFS-Extended Attributes

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Dec 3 15:15:45 GMT 2004

Andreas Winter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we run a CVSNT-Client on Windows-2000 and XP (2.0.58d) using a
> Standard-CVS Server on Linux.
>
> Whenever a file is produced from the CVSNT-Client
> (checkout/update/export) this file has so called Extended-Attributes
> which are only defined in NTFS. These EAs are not set prior checkin by
> us. These EAs are not visible using Explorer and we dont know the
> meaning of it. The effect is that such files can not be copied into our
> samba fileserver. It creates an empty file on the target dir but stops

That sounds more like a problem with your samba configuration - samba
supports EAs (it'll even map them directly to Linux EAs if configured to
do so - set 'ea support = yes' in your smb.conf) and copies them around
quite easily.

EAs on NT are used for lots of things - some AV uses it to mark scanned
files, for example, and every file on XP has them by default (right
click, properties, select 'summary' - this is all EA).

> The question is - is that a bug or a feature of CVSNT?

It's a feature - it holds the unix compatible bits of the file, so you
don't lose them when you edit on NT (it also happens to be readable by
cygwin when required).

cvsnt is going to use them a lot more in the future (since they offer
some nice advantages on systems that support them) so it's best to get
them working rather than disable them.