[cvsnt] Source Control Best Practices?

Merrill Cornish merrill.cornish at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 6 15:37:05 GMT 2004

In asking for help, various posts sometimes give an insight into how different groups are using CVS and source control in general.  I've noticed that similar problems are often attacked quite differently by different organizations.  For example,

   *  multiple developers working in one sandbox rather than one sandbox per developer

   * multiple developers working in different branches rather than in different sandboxes even though they were all working on a single development path

   * branching to distinguish releases rather than to maintain alternate code paths

and so on.

True, different circumstances require different solutions, but I wonder if some of the approaches we hear about are caused simply because it was the first thing they thought of.

Does any one know of a book or articles describing "best practices" for source control?

Merrill