[cvsnt] Repository on removable drive, used by servers different machines

mada no.spam at no.spam.org
Thu Dec 9 20:17:33 GMT 2004

Hello all

I need your feedback on whether the following scenario is possible, and
safe, before trying it out.

I have a large collection of files and directories on computer A (winxp),
say under \work. I need version control on this, as well as the ability to
sync it with the \work directory on, say, computer B (winxp). Under ideal
circumstances, the two directories (A\work and B\work) need to be identical.

What I thought is to install cvs on both machines, create a repository on a
removable drive, say X:\repos, and perform commits/updates for both A\work
and B\work on X:\repos.

So, a typical scenario would be:

1. On A, update \work
2. On A, change files under \work
3. On A, commit \work
4. Transfer the removable drive between from A to B
5. On B, update \work
6. On B, change files under \work
7. On B, commit \work
8. Transfer the removable drive from B to A
9 ... and so on

At first glance, is this possible? Will a repository on a removable drive be
a problem?

Now for the part that troubles me. I understand that the CVS\root file of
every CVS directory inside a sandbox contains the sandbox'es cvsroot string.
So, not only the removable drive needs to be assigned the same drive letter
on both machines, but also the same method needs to be used so that all
contents of all CVS\root files will be identical, right? Of course, this
allows only :local: operation, correct?

What would solve it is the ability to update from a repository/method and
commit to a different repository/method. Is this possible?

Will a sandbox initially checked out using :local:<whatever> be correctly
and safely used with a :pserver:<whatever> repository/method if the contents
of all CVS\root files are appropriately replaced?

Thanx for spending time reading my weird questions

mada