[cvsnt] Re: Distributing load across several CVS servers(Transparent Proxy)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Dec 12 20:28:52 GMT 2004

Paul Kramer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've thought about, but not prototyped the idea of accomplishing remote/distributed development with CVS by cloning the master repository for each of the remote sites, and then sync by way of vendor branches. Any thoughts about that?

It's possible, but needs a way to merge the branches (by merging the RCS
file at both ends).   The code probably isn't that hard.... it just
needs writing.  As long as you made sure that the branches used were
always separate on each site (or you only cloned specific branches and
the HEAD on both sites was unique) it'd work well.

This could be separate to CVS - it just needs a merge program that's
aware of the RCS file format.  Unfortunately I don't have the time to
write it at the moment...