[cvsnt] Re: Checkout tag extremely slow

jml at nykredit.dk jml at nykredit.dk
Sun Dec 12 22:59:40 GMT 2004

Well, as I stated, we have reverted to version 2.0.4 because this version
(and to my knowledge, all earlier) does NOT have this behaviour - so, CVS
hasn't done this repository scan "forever"  (allthough it takes forever to
scan the repository :-)  - try an older version yourself, that should
convince you!

Either way, I think it's bad, that if I misspell a tag-name (easily done
since they are case-sensitive and all) I'll cause the CVS server to do a
tremendous amount of futile work. (And even if I break the CVS command
(with Ctrl-C) on the client, it seems that the server task goes on and on
until it has searched the entire repository).

So I'll still claim that it's a bug, since older versions of CVS doesn't
behave this way. To me,  it's a major issue, - we are running a rather
large repository, and this bug gives us too bad performance too many
times, so - unfortunately - I'll have to stick to the 2.0.4 version of CVS
until this bug's removed...

Regards
Jorgen Moeller Larsen

Bo Berglund wrote:
> Seems to me to be about 0% useful and so it strikes me as unnecessary
> to even scan something to build the file.

It's been that way since AFAIK cvs 1.9 or something like that...

> If cvs is also scanning the *whole* repository to build this list then
> it looks like a bug to me too...

It's also done this forever... it's pretty rare that it actually happens
(since it is modified automatically by tag and rtag).

Changing that behaviour is low priority as it's always worked like that
- there isn't an easy way before the rewrite as it's builtin to the core
code.