[cvsnt] Re: cvs ACL clarifications

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sat Dec 18 23:29:03 GMT 2004

Rogier Eijkelhof wrote:
> Would it be hard to add an [no]visible right or something, which would
> prevent uses from even just seeing a file or dir? So that if they
> checkout or update the repository, they won't even notice the existence
> of the files or dirs on which they have no view access.

It wouldn't really work... a 'cvs add' would give the existence of the
file away (can't get around this really), as would a lot of other
commands potentially (pretending a file didn't exist would be a fairly
big change and I might not get all the cases for a while).

> This would be very handy when for example different outsiders need to
> known only about the part of the repository containing stuff they're
> related to (i.e. projects/clientname/*.*)

If the permissions are set up they'll only know about the top level
directory anyway, which isn't much problem.

If you really need that level of separation separate repositories is
probably a better solution.

> Another question about ACLs: are they supposed to be set at the server
> or by clients? (just wondering cause I have some trouble getting ACL to
> work properly :)

Either.