[cvsnt] Re: cvs ACL clarifications

Rogier Eijkelhof rogier at shortcut.nl
Sun Dec 19 00:16:11 GMT 2004

At 00:29 19-12-04, Tony Hoyle wrote:
>>Would it be hard to add an [no]visible right or something, which would
>>prevent uses from even just seeing a file or dir? So that if they
>>checkout or update the repository, they won't even notice the existence
>>of the files or dirs on which they have no view access.
>
>It wouldn't really work... a 'cvs add' would give the existence of the
>file away (can't get around this really), as would a lot of other commands
>potentially (pretending a file didn't exist would be a fairly big change
>and I might not get all the cases for a while).

Well as for the 'cvs add', the outsiders I have in mind wouldn't have add
access (nocreate) to the dir above it :)
But you're right, other commands might offer other ways to reveal the
existence anyway.

>>This would be very handy when for example different outsiders need to
>>known only about the part of the repository containing stuff they're
>>related to (i.e. projects/clientname/*.*)
>
>If the permissions are set up they'll only know about the top level
>directory anyway, which isn't much problem.
>
>If you really need that level of separation separate repositories is
>probably a better solution.

Hmm yes, indeed it's not dramatic just knowing the dirs exist. And in the
unlikely case it is, I could put any 'sensitive' dir names inside dirs with
names that don't reveal anything useful.

Using separate repositories is kinda uncomfortable, as for example I have a
library A which is required for projects B and C, so people with access to
either B or C should also be able to read A. This can be solved by
separating even further, putting every lib and project in its own
repository, but then people have to update *lots* of repositories just to
get all the latest stuff they need. With proper ACLs I assumed everybody
can just update one big repository and they'd get what I want them to get.

>>Another question about ACLs: are they supposed to be set at the server or
>>by clients? (just wondering cause I have some trouble getting ACL to work
>>properly :)
>
>Either.

Hmm ok, cause I recently got errors when trying to do it on the server...
Doing 'cvs chacl' as a client seemed to work better (that is: no errors),
but still didn't cause the access restrictions I intented.
I mailed about this a few days ago, I'll copy/paste it again below. Sorry
for posting it here twice - I hate to be pushy, but somehow I just can't
get this to work and I'm hoping you or anyone else might have some advice...

cheers! Rogier

// [copy of previous email]