[cvsnt] Can't get cvsnt installed on FreeBSD, please help

Kristoffer Skjutare kristoffer at skjutare.com
Fri Dec 31 10:21:10 GMT 2004

Hi,
Im trying to get a CVSNT server setup. But I can't seam to get it all
the way.

First some facts:
ServerOS: FreeBSD 4.10
CVSNT: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.51 (client/server)
cvsroot: /home/cvsroot

I installed cvsnt trough FreeBSDs port system.

First I copied the PServer.example to PServer and set it like this
(striped all comments).

Repository0=/home/cvsroot/cvstest
Repository0Name=/cvstest
LockServer=localhost:2402

Then I made sure that cvslockd got started (and enabled in rc.conf) at
port 2402. After that I added the following line to inetd.conf

cvspserver stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/cvs cvs -f authserver

and in services

cvspserver      2401/tcp

Then I restarted inetd. And tested I if could connect to the ports (2401
and 2402) trough telnet, they are both working.

Then I created an repository in /home/cvsroot/cvstest

set CVSROOT to :local:/home/cvsroot/cvstest

then ran

cvs init

Checked to see that the CVSROOT foler got created.

added my systemuser to admin then ran

cvs passwd -a username

then I tryed to connect from my workstation (trough Intellij IDEA) using

CVSROOT =:pserver:username at serverip:2401:/home/cvsroot/cvstest

Then I got the following error:
:pserver:kristoffer at pugnax.com:2401:/home/cvsroot/cvstest

Then I tought that maybe its IDEA that has problems. So I set the
CVSROOT on the server to

CVSROOT =:pserver:username at serverip:2401:/home/cvsroot/cvstest

and ran

cvs login

and I got the exact same error (so IDEA is not at fault).

then set CVSROOT to :local:/home/cvsroot/cvs

and found the command

cvs info

when I ran it I got this:
Available protocols:

local               (internal)

So there was the problem cvs couldn't find the protocols.

To the question:
How can I make cvsnt understand that they are installed? (the .so files
are in the lib/cvsnt/ directory)

Best regards and a Happy New Year
Kristoffer Skjutare