[cvsnt] Automating production migration reversal

Tyler Theobald junk at nodomain.net
Wed Feb 4 19:59:38 GMT 2004

I now have a script that just needs the repository, module, tag, and UNC
path to the target location to automatically do production migrations based
on a tag such as "for_prod".
Question is, does anyone have an example of a way to automate a migration
reversal, in other words, go back to the previous state?

My migration process is to do the following on our "batch automation
server"...(which is not the target production server)

1)  create temp dir
2)  checkout files with specified tag
3)  ensure target location exists
4)  robocopy checkout files to target location
5)  errorchecking to ensure all files where copied over
6)  add tag to copied files, such as "migrated_<date><time>"
7)  delete temp dir

So if we discovered a problem and later wanted to quickly revert our
production server to the previous state, how might we do it??

I can't think of a way to accomplish a reversal using CVS....the only thing
I can think of is to make a backup of files about to be replaced.  Other
ideas?

Thanks!

Tyler