[cvsnt] NetGetAnyDCName vs NetGetDCName

Mathieu Veurman MVeurman at seagull.nl
Thu Feb 5 14:09:29 GMT 2004

Apparently we're not the only one experiencing this behaviour. The next
part is taken from
http://tekweb.idi.ntnu.no/proginfo/activeperl/site/lib/Win32/lanman.html
#item_NetGetAnyDCName:

NetGetAnyDCName($server, $domain, \$dcname)

Returns the name of a domain controller in a specified domain. Does NOT
work with Trusted Domains. You get the error code 1355 (domain doesn't
exist).
In this case proceed as follows: get your pdc or a bdc and execute the
NetGetAnyDCName call there.

 # your primary domain name
 $my_domain = "my_domain";
 # a trusted domain name
 $trust_domain = "trust_domain";

 # get the pdc on your local machine for $my_domain
 NetGetDCName('', $my_domain, \$pdc);
 # now get a dc in the trusted domain
 NetGetAnyDCName($pdc, $trusted_domain, \$dc);