[cvsnt] Re: Will the RCS file shrink if revisions are deleted??

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Feb 9 22:15:21 GMT 2004

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:34:54 +0000, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>If you delete (with admin -o) revisions it'll get smaller... make sure
>that you really don't want those revisions though as you can't get them
>back.
>
>It'll not affect CVSNT performance unless you're checking out from
>branches that were made a while ago.  CVSNT only reads the first part of
>the file to checkout HEAD - it's just a copy operation from the first
>revision.  If you're short of memory on the server it could have some
>affect, though.
>
>Tony

I tried to delete revision 1.5 of an exe file with 248 revisions. The
RCS file is 202 Mb in size.
But after chugging along for quite a while it gave up with:
cvs [server aborted]: out of memory; can not allocate 1044137 bytes
Doesn't sount too much to me unless it is talking about kb of
course...

Anyway, after this the server is sort of inaccessible. I can't even
see its administrative share anymore to check the size of the file.
It won't respond to a remote reboot command so I am a bit stuck, it is
located about 10.000 km away from me.
Someone on location has to restart it, I think. :-(

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)