[cvsnt] Re: Will the RCS file shrink if revisions are deleted??

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Feb 9 22:24:56 GMT 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> It'll not affect CVSNT performance unless you're checking out from
> branches that were made a while ago.  CVSNT only reads the first part
> of the file to checkout HEAD - it's just a copy operation from the
> first revision.  If you're short of memory on the server it could have
> some affect, though.

It would affect performance for tagging / branching operations
though--any time that it needs to completely rewrite the file.  I'm
guessing that's what Bo was talking about.

Bo--probably not an option, but if performance is a key factory for you
on your CVS server, I can attest to the fact that a Linux box is
multiple times faster than my XP box is on file operations (e.g. copying
big files, on nearly identical machines)--and CVS would be
correspondingly faster.  I realize changing server OS involves much more
than 1 benchmark* but it's something to consider.

* Note that I'm not directly comparing Linux to XP here... wouldn't want
to have M$ sick their lawyers on me :)  Also, just running AV software
on XP and not on the Linux box probably accounts for a good deal of that
performance hit.

Regards,