[cvsnt] Re: Why do recent installers require a restart?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Feb 12 16:35:21 GMT 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:21:22 +0100, Oliver Giesen <ogware at gmx.net>
wrote:

>I can't exactly tell when this started but it might have been somewhere
>around the introduction of :sserver: ... fact is that I haven't been
>able to update my CVSNT installation without the installer demanding a
>reboot anymore recently. SSPI access appears to be fully operational
>again right after the install if I don't reboot. I haven't been able to
>identify what is causing this so far.
>If the reboot turns out to be necessary indeed this would be a strong
>argument against frequent server updates as CVSNT is running on our
>domain controller/file server/database server...

That'll be the setuid.dll (LSA helper), which is always locked as it's
loaded by the system on boot.  Eventually that'll settle down (I don't
see that I can do much more to it anyway) and the version checking
will mean it never gets updated.

If you're not using pserver you can just uninstall that and there
isn't much else that'd require a reboot.

I wouldn't recommend frequent server updates anyway on an active
server.. stick to the version that does what you need, and maybe try
out the new stuff on a non-critical machine.