[cvsnt] CVSNT, WinCVS & LineFeed option - looking for best practice

Ian Huynh ianh at hubspan.com
Mon Feb 16 18:15:48 GMT 2004

I am looking for some best practices out there with respect to handling linefeed

our environment
---------------
1. CVSNT 2.0.8 on the server and wincvs 1.3.13.2 beta on the client.
2. all client OSes are Windows but some CVS users are using Cygwin
3. no one uses a Unix client that I know of

4. in our source code we have a number of files that need to be built & distributed
   in both Unix/Linux and Win32.  (eg.  *.sh file and *.cmd file as well as *.properties file)

5. we already have a number of files added to CVSNT prior to introducing the Unix*/Linux distribution
   issue

I believe CVSNT stores LF only in the repository and upon checkout or update, the LF turns into
CRLF via WinCVS (or CVSNT client).

So our initial inclination is to enforce a new rule that all files checkout uses ONLY UNIX LF.

so the questions are

1. are there any potential problems that people may have run into ?
2. would I get a large amount files being different if I do  this ?

thanks.