[cvsnt] CVSNT, WinCVS & LineFeed option - looking for best practice

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Feb 16 18:33:50 GMT 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:15:48 -0800, "Ian Huynh" <ianh at hubspan.com>
wrote:

>So our initial inclination is to enforce a new rule that all files checkout uses ONLY UNIX LF.
>
>so the questions are
>
>1. are there any potential problems that people may have run into ?

As long as cygwin users checkout/in using cygwin CVS and WinCVS users
checkout using WinCVS then there will not be an issue.  If you mix
them then it's an accident waiting to happen (the sandboxes may not be
entirely compatible anyway these days).

Personally I would make sure that users had only one of the two on
their machines, to avoid accidents.  (Actually I would probably remove
cygwin and make a couple of Linux boxes available for Unix testing).

Another way to handle it is to do admin -kL on the affected files,
which forces them to unix linefeeds.   Only do this though if the
win32 build tools won't barf.

>2. would I get a large amount files being different if I do  this ?

If you did it to everything, then a lot of the Win32 build tools would
fail because they need CR/LF.

Enforcing that people checkout using LF seems to me to be just making
life harder without any real benefit.  CVS handles the CR/LF issues
well - CVSNT itself is built on multiple platforms.  The issue is only
one of distribution... presumably you're distributing these Unix files
in some way - in that case only your distribution script needs to do
any kind of LF only checkout.