[cvsnt] Filename charset

Robin Rosenberg robin.rosenberg at dewire.com
Wed Feb 25 08:17:10 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 02.00, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Robin Rosenberg wrote:
> > Does CVSNT convert file names between client charset and server, as in
> > Linux client with UTF-8, Windows clients (window 1252~isolatin1) and
> > server with IsoLatin1? It seems the cvs protocol has no provisions for
> > this.
> >
> No... it's not really possible as there's no consistent way to get that
> kind of information anyway about the client/server (Unix and Windows
> differ quite a bit).  Also there's the problem that the CVSNT server on
> NT is ANSI, which means that any characters that aren't in the current
> codepage would get trashed anyway.

Not a problem in practice since I think "international" servers would not
use national characters. So even if all characters do not work, so be it, if
the common ones work. It's really only a few that I'm interested in, i.e. åäöÅÄÖ,
i.e. characters people tend to use.

> There are numerous other issues (the RCS file format for example doesn't
> store codepage information so you've no idea what language the comments
> are in).
Per server setting or assumption is fine.

> All of these things are on the list for fixing someday, but it's not
> going to be for a while.

Have there been any discussions on how, i.e. an agreement in principle
on how to solve this, so that if someone implements it or part of it patches
won't be rejected right away?

I had a kludgy idea of setting up server on different ports. 2401 for ISOLatin1, 2402
for UTF-8, but I'd rather skip that. It's a future problem, but it blocks any linux client
from having clients with UTF-8 as the default charset. Som linux distributions nowadays
default to UTF-8.

-- robin