[cvsnt] Cannot use verifymsg to verify log message

Varun Bansal varun at in-reality.com
Thu Feb 26 08:51:46 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm using CVSNT 2.0.26 version. My cvs server is on machine A and cvs client on Machine B. I've modified verifymsg on A to call my external script somecheck.pl which verifies if the log message specified on the command line during a commit on client side ie Machine B meets the required format of the log message. My external script resides in CVSROOT (the same dir as verifymsg) on server side ie Machine A. Now the problem is that I'm getting this error message while executing cvs commit on client side.

C:\testproj> cvs commit -m "some formatted log message here" somefile.txt
cvs [server aborted]: Message verification failed

This is my entry in verifymsg on server machine:
DEFAULT $CVSROOT\CVSROOT\verifymsg.pl

When I comment out the entry in verifymsg which calls my external script, everything works fine. Is it possible to directly send the log message for verification from client to server to an external script which resides on server itself ? Any clues/help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Varun