[cvsnt] Re: vendor branch and import problem

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Feb 26 13:24:46 GMT 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:
>>C:\dir1>cvs import -m "Second import" dir1 VENDOR01 V1
>>cvs server: ERROR: tag VENDOR01 already exists in
>>D:/CVSREPO/dir1/file1.txt,v
>>cvs server: ERROR: tag VENDOR01 already exists in
>>D:/CVSREPO/dir1/file2.txt,v
>>U dir1/file2.txt
>>

> It's telling you what's wrong - you can't use the same branch twice.

Huh? What's this? I've been importing third-party sources to the same
vendor branch frequently for over a year now without problems. I thought
this was kind of the whole point of Import. Actually, last time I did
this was two days ago, using CVSNT 2.0.30. I never ever got this
message. I must be missing something obvious about this example here,
don't I?

>>I followed CVS manual which  suggests the vendor tag should be the same
>>each time the new release is imported.
>
> If it says that it needs changing... where does it say it?

I guess he was thinking of this: http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/CvsChapter114

Cheers,

--
Oliver