[cvsnt] Re: vendor branch and import problem

Waldemar Oblizajek woblizajek at klub.chip.pl
Thu Feb 26 13:54:58 GMT 2004

"Oliver Giesen" <ogware at gmx.net> wrote in message
news:c1ks2u$i8u$1 at sisko.local.nodomain.org...
> Tony Hoyle wrote:
> >>C:\dir1>cvs import -m "Second import" dir1 VENDOR01 V1
> >>cvs server: ERROR: tag VENDOR01 already exists in
> >>D:/CVSREPO/dir1/file1.txt,v
> >>cvs server: ERROR: tag VENDOR01 already exists in
> >>D:/CVSREPO/dir1/file2.txt,v
> >>U dir1/file2.txt
> >>

> > It's telling you what's wrong - you can't use the same branch twice.
>
> Huh? What's this? I've been importing third-party sources to the same
> vendor branch frequently for over a year now without problems. I thought
> this was kind of the whole point of Import. Actually, last time I did
> this was two days ago, using CVSNT 2.0.30. I never ever got this
> message. I must be missing something obvious about this example here,
> don't I?
>

> >>I followed CVS manual which  suggests the vendor tag should be the same
> >>each time the new release is imported.
> >
> > If it says that it needs changing... where does it say it?
>
> I guess he was thinking of this: http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/CvsChapter114

Yes, I exactly mean that, here is a fragment from the document:
"When a new release of the source arrives, you import it into the repository
with the same import command that you used to set up the repository in the
first place. The only difference is that you specify a different release tag
this time. "

Also in some examples I found on the Internet vendor tag was not changed.

I do not understand why it is not true any more. Should I also change vendor
tag ?

Waldek