[cvsnt] Re: vendor branch and import problem

Waldemar Oblizajek woblizajek at klub.chip.pl
Thu Feb 26 15:58:41 GMT 2004

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:mstr305tpu5kr91d0s8vsp00stjhe94u61 at 4ax.com...
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:24:46 +0100, Oliver Giesen <ogware at gmx.net>
> wrote:
> It was added in 2.0.21, after it was pointed out you could completely
> trash your repository by typing the wrong import command.  Repository
> integrity overrides any convenience of using the same tag.

Yes, I have just checked than I can import with the same vendor tag  using
CVSNT version 2.0.19.

> Currently you just have to use a different tag on each import... no
> big deal.  Few people use import in that way anyway - it's never
> worked properly, mostly because CVS doesn't really support
> baselines...  that would require a whole load of changes to the format
> and is something that I'm not even sure how to do yet.

I can live with changing tag on each import if it gives me the ability to
merge new source releases from 3rd party. That is what I need.
But anyway, it is not as it is described in documentation isn't it ?
Actually one of the reasons I want to switch to from SourceSafe to CVS is
the vendor-branch mechanism.
We are changing and extending a system based on external sources, we got new
version quite often. We usually add new source files but sometimes we are
forced to make changes in original sources. CVS vendor-branches seemed to be
mechanism designed for such purpose. If it does not work I will have to find
another solution.

Thanks for explanation
Regards,
Waldek