[cvsnt] Re: vendor branch and import problem

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Feb 26 16:02:25 GMT 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:58:41 +0100, "Waldemar Oblizajek"
<woblizajek at klub.chip.pl> wrote:

>We are changing and extending a system based on external sources, we got new
>version quite often. We usually add new source files but sometimes we are
>forced to make changes in original sources. CVS vendor-branches seemed to be
>mechanism designed for such purpose. If it does not work I will have to find
>another solution.

They don't really work like that.  That would require baseline support
which I'm not aware any of 'free' systems support.  An import will
allow you to update your sources but you end up putting all your
changes back in, which is a pain (I avoid import and do it manually,
myself).