[cvsnt] Re: vendor branch and import problem

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Feb 26 16:32:12 GMT 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Vendor tags aren't really branches... you don't normally commit to
> them. Anyway, we're not talking about committing a new revision to a
> branch - that's not what import does.  It actually overwrites the
> existing branch with a completely new one, creating an orphan branch
> if you've changed any revisions on it (which you never would have
> normally... which is why they're really tags).

No! This is definitely not what happened whenever I have done an Import
in the past so far. I have vendor branches with up to twenty revisions
and more on them without me ever having committed a single one manually
(on the vendor branch that is). All these branch revisions were created
using Import. There wouldn't be any point in it if this didn't work,
would there? For me it has always worked exactly as described in the
Cederqvist.

However, I must confess that my previous statement was a test case
error. I just realized that our CVSNT server has not yet been upgraded.
I just tested again with my local CVSNT 2.0.31 server and it behaves as
you described: It does not allow me to do Update Imports anymore. This
is a big step backwards IMO. :(

Cheers,

--
Oliver