[cvsnt] Re: vendor branch and import problem

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Feb 26 19:46:26 GMT 2004

> The code for tagging blindly wipes any existing tags and branches and
> puts its own there.  It also can't handle deletes,

Well, not in a single step operation but there's a perfectly well documented
procedure to handle this doing a merge checkout after the import which has
always worked fine for me so far...

> certainly not
> renames,

No, but that's certainly not an Import-specific problem.

> and really is useless for any serious tracking of sources.

Not in my experience.

> Really it should be stripped down into 'create new repository' as it's
> just confusing as it is.

Not at all once you got into the flow...

> It's far better to do a recursive remove followed by a recursive add
> to update sources.. if you want a vendor tag just tag it after the
> add.

<sigh> I DO NOT WANT A VENDOR /TAG/. I want a vendor *branch*.... and so far
I still have one which is actually alive and kicking. It just looks as if
I'll have to abandon it if I upgrade our CVSNT server...

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org