[cvsnt] Watched binary files idiosyncrasy

Martin Cole martin at martinjcole.com
Fri Feb 27 01:16:16 GMT 2004

There is feature about the way cvs(nt) deals with watched binary's that negatively affects the way I use cvs and labview.

When I request edit permissions on watched labview files (binaries) cvs makes a copy of the files in the ./cvs/base/ directory, with the exact same name, presumably to determine if the file has changed.

Well the problem is that labview searches for files as it loads them, and in some dumb fashion it sometimes manages to find the files in the base directory and hence forth (after commit and unedit) it is not possible to get stuff compiled without some annoying dialogs popping up. Everything still manages to work, but it ends up searching for the files each and every time after.

Is there any possibility of prefixing the files in the base directory with a "~" or something ?

Fantastic work to all in the cvsnt team.

Regards
Marts