[cvsnt] Yet another obscure merge problem

Harrison, Andrew andy.harrison at anite.com
Fri Feb 27 09:55:31 GMT 2004

> From: Tony Hoyle [mailto:tmh at nodomain.org]
>
> You've created branch1 at rev 1.1 in file1.c
> Them removed file1, and committed it for rev 1.2
> Branch2 is not added to file1 (since it doesn't exist) so when you
> update to it you get no file1 because it doesn't exist on that branch,
> *not* because it was deleted.
> You then merge with branch1, which has rev. 1.1 of file1, which
> exists.  This causes file1 to appear on Branch2 in its rev 1.1 state.

At some point during the merge the connection to Branch2 is done, and it's
added to rev 1.2. So CVS know at this point that it is a deleted file, not a
non-existant file.

> If you do an rtag at the 4th step instead of tag you'll get a
> different result (possibly what you wanted).

What does rtag do differently from tag? I can't find anything in the wiki
other than a parameter list. Does anyone know how to make WinCVS use rtag
instead of tag?

Andy

--
Andy Harrison - Platform Software Engineer
Anite Telecoms Ltd. 127 Fleet Road, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 3QN, UK

Please note that my email domain has changed from @anitetelecoms.com to
@anite.com
Registered in England No. 1721900 Registered Office: 353 Buckingham Avenue,
Slough, Berkshire SL1 4PF, United Kingdom

Scanned for viruses by MessageLabs. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed. This email is intended for the named recipient only, and may contain confidential information and proprietary material. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited.