[cvsnt] Yet another obscure merge problem

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Feb 27 10:07:55 GMT 2004

Harrison, Andrew wrote:

> At some point during the merge the connection to Branch2 is done, and it's
> added to rev 1.2. So CVS know at this point that it is a deleted file, not a
> non-existant file.

There are some default rules for nonexistant branches.  I suspect it
just goes to the root of Branch1 - at which time the file existed...
although it's not something I've done much research on.

> What does rtag do differently from tag? I can't find anything in the wiki
> other than a parameter list. Does anyone know how to make WinCVS use rtag
> instead of tag?

rtag acts on the repository, and also deleted files.  tag acts on the
sandbox (indirectly) so doesn't consider deleted files.  tag is normally
what you want, but if deleted files matter to you then use rtag (you
lose some flexibility in tagging though).