[cvsnt] Re: vendor branch and import problem

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Feb 27 11:24:21 GMT 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> It was added in 2.0.21, after it was pointed out you could completely
> trash your repository by typing the wrong import command.  Repository
> integrity overrides any convenience of using the same tag.

Have you read the post by Phil Richards on this thread? It actually
looks as if it is just the other way round: Using *different* vendor
branches on subsequent imports is what messes up the repository (unless
combined with the -b option, I guess)! Currently this is exactly what
you effectively _enforce_ by forbidding to use the same branch twice...

> One day if there is more info stored about tags then CVS might be able
> to tell the difference between a vendor tag and a branch tag,

Why does there have to be a difference at all? So far I have been
working happily in the belief that the only thing that's special about
the vendor _branch_ created by Import was its revision number and the
fact that it was implicitly declared as the default branch.

Of course I could probably get the same functionality by importing my
third-party sources to the trunk with the -n option (or doesn't that
work anymore too? - after all it's effectively also always the same
branch that I'm importing to...) and doing my own modifications on a
branch but then the other way round is how I started so it would be nice
if I could just continue to do so as there never was any problem with
that process AFAICS.

Cheers,

--
Oliver